Fingerling potatoes are tasty tubers which are small in size. They are a great alternative for dishes that call for russet or new potatoes. Fingerlings can be baked, broiled, boiled, roasted, broasted, fried, sautéed, grilled or mashed.
Fingerling potatoes are available in grocery stores, but prices are usually on the high side. A better option is to purchase from local Farmers markets because prices are usually about half of what they cost at chain grocers. Not to mention potatoes purchased from local family-owned markets are generally fresher than store-bought potatoes.
The skin of Fingerling potatoes ranges in color from light tan to vibrant purple, while the interior color ranges from creamy white to light gold. These potatoes have a mild, yet complex flavor that pairs well with meat, seafood and all types of vegetables.
Fingerling potatoes will stay fresh for two or three months if stored in a cool, dry place. I have found that storing Fingerling potatoes in a burlap bag or green bags can extend their freshness for an additional week or two.
Broasted Fingerling Potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 pound Fingerling potatoes
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash and dry potatoes.
3. Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water (about 4 quarts). Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Add one tray of ice cubes to a large mixing bowl and fill half-way with cold water.
5. Drain potatoes in a colander and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process. Let potatoes sit in water for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain.
6. Pour ice water out and transfer potatoes into the bowl.
7. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and gently toss until ingredients are incorporated.
8. Line a shallow roasting pan with foil. Transfer potatoes to roasting pan and arrange in a single layer.
9. Place in oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender and golden brown.
10. Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately.