I am a huge fan of Bacon Lettuce Tomato Sandwiches. As a child, my mom served BLT sandwiches at least once a week. She grew the lettuce and tomato in her garden and mom's BLTs were always bursting with flavor. After moving away from home it was hard to create a sandwich that tasted as good as mom's.
Yesterday, I had a craving for bacon lettuce tomato sandwiches. It's been at least a year since I last ate one and I wanted something spectacular. I'm probably one of the most frugal people you will ever meet and I can't stand waste; especially when it comes to food.
We had a few slices of leftover lunch meat and a tiny portion of Brie cheese. My mind went into overdrive as I concocted the following recipe on-the-fly. Personally, I think it's one of the best BLTs I've ever consumed. I hope you enjoy it too!
I cooked everything using a flat electric griddle. The same results can be obtained by using a skillet and toasting the bread, or by baking the bacon. If you have never baked bacon, it's super easy to do. Simply line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, place the bacon on the sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 18 minutes; flipping slices halfway through.
Gourmet Bacon Lettuce Tomato Sandwich Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
4 slices Italian bread
8 slices Bacon
2 slices Deli Ham
2 slices Deli Pastrami
2 slices Deli Salami
1 small Tomato, sliced thin
3 Romaine lettuce leaves, chopped
3 Tablespoons Butter (or margarine)
4 slices Brie cheese, cut about 1/4-inch thick
- Preheat electric griddle to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place bacon slices on griddle and cook for 4 minutes; flip bacon and cook 4 more minutes or until desired crispness.
- While bacon is cooking, prepare Romaine lettuce and tomatoes.
- Place butter in microwave-safe dish. Heat in microwave for about 30 seconds or until butter melts.
- Using a pastry brush, coat one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- Place 2 paper towels on a plate and transfer bacon from griddle to allow grease to drain.
- Using a spatula, push bacon grease into the griddle's grease container.
- Reduce griddle heat to 350 degrees.
- Place deli meat slices on one side of griddle. Cook for 1-1/2 minutes per side.
- Place bread, buttered side down on other side of griddle.
- Place 2 slices of Brie cheese on bread and allow to melt.
- Add 4 strips bacon to each remaining bread slice.
- Top with deli meats.
- Using a butter knife, spread Brie cheese from edge to edge of the bread.
- Add lettuce and tomato on top of deli meats.
- Place brie cheese side of bread on top of the BLT sandwich.
- Transfer to serving plate. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Serve with seasoned fries, potato chips, potato salad, cole slaw or fruit cup.