The following Super Easy Chip and Veggie Dip recipe has been a family holiday favorite for as long as I can remember. My sister created this delightful dip about 30 years ago. It was a huge hit the day she served it with a bowl of chips and a veggie tray. It has become the one and only chip and veggie dip served at our family gatherings because nothing else compares to the flavor.
Super Easy Chip and Veggie Dip consists of five ingredients. The secret to this dip is a spice called Beau Monde Seasoning. Manufactured by Spice Islands, Beau Monde can be a little difficult to find, but some grocery stores do carry it.
I know Publix and Kroger are two grocers who carry the Spice Islands brand, as do some health food stores. Otherwise, you might have to order it directly from the website at www.SpiceIslands.com. Online the cost is $5.15 and, in my opinion, is worth every penny!
Beau Monde seasoning is exceptionally versatile. It is fabulous with chicken, fish, beef, potatoes, vegetables and of course, dip!
Super easy chip and veggie dip is supposed to be relatively thick. It can be thinned out by using additional milk. When using the dip with chips, add extra milk to make the dip easier to scoop. When using the dip for veggies, use less milk. The dip should have a smooth creamy consistency that can be stirred with a spoon, but not so thin that is slides off the spoon.
SUPER EASY CHIP AND VEGGIE DIP
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 8-ounce package Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1-1/2 teaspoons Beau Monde Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt (or 1 teaspoon Table Salt)
2 - 3 Tablespoons Whole Milk or Half-and-Half (can substitute soy, almond or rice milk if desired)
1/3 cup White Onion, minced
1. Place cream cheese, beau monde seasoning, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat ingredients together, adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until dip achieves desired consistency.
3. Add in minced white onion and stir by hand to incorporate.
4. Allow to chill for at least one hour before serving.
5. Serve with potato chips, corn chips or fresh vegetables including baby carrots, cucumber slices, radishes, celery sticks, broccoli or cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes, black or green olives.
Enter to win a one year subscription to Real Simple magazine.
Click here for details of The Cheap Gourmet December Giveaway.